08 September 2010

Zips and Buttons

Calling mums, I'm in need of some advice!

Lately we've been trying to instill a bit more independence into Mr. Just Turned Four. He's been making good progress on things like shampooing his own hair and drying himself after the shower and putting all his own clothes on. We've also been working on learning how to do up zips and buttons (on his Lightning McQueen pyjamas).

Zips he can manage most of the time if the zip is down the right end to start with. But buttons on the other hand....! You know, I can't remember ever learning how to do up buttons, but apparently I must have since I do them now without even giving it a second thought!

But actually, it's not that easy. And the more I try to 'teach' the concept, the more I realise it's not an easy concept to learn. How did other mums get on teaching your kids these kinds of things? And at what age did it all 'click'?


P.S. Don't get me started on shoelaces....I'm not planning to go there for a few more years if I don't have to. One thing at a time, right?!

P.P.S. I'm beginining to see buttons in my sleep.


2 comments :

Leonie said...

My four year old has only just started getting the button concept recently (and she will be five soon). I think having older siblings everyone does a lot for her. Now she is a big kindy girls she's started exerting her independence which includes dressing herself. She had a doll with big buttons on she used to play with so maybe something he could play with to practice on?

Mika said...

Sometimes it is the size of the buttons that stump the kids at first. Do you have any jackets or jerseys with oversized buttons and button holes to practice on?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails