These quantity serves 2 adults and 2 little people so just double the recipe for a bigger family
250g minced beef or lamb
1 Tbsp cornflour
1 Tbsp cold water
Your choice of veges (we used broccoli and courgettes)
2 cups water
1 cube of instant beef stock powder
1 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp soya sauce
1 Tbsp oil
1 packet wide or thin dried noodles (we use Fantastic brand)
- Mix mince with the unbeaten egg in a bowl.
- Mix cornflour and cold water together and stir through mince mixture. Leave to stand.
- To make the broth, combine all the ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the meatballs in one layer. Heat until simmering.
- Divide mince mixture into even sized portions, shaping into 12-16 balls, using 2 wet dessert spoons. If the mixture is too soft, add up to 2 tsp of extra cornflour mixed with a small amount of cold water.
- Drop the soft meat balls carefully into the simmering broth (it doesn't matter if they flatten slightly). Cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook the noodles in a separate pot of water while the meatballs cook.
- Stir fry any veges you want to add to the recipe in a pan or wok at the same time.
- Spoon noodles and stir-fried veges into bowls, and add the meatball broth mixture over the top.
Serve up, and imagine you are sitting cross legged on the floor of a traditional Japanese home whilst slurping your noodles, it totally adds to the experience!